IT IS THE MISSION OF THE LONGBOAT KEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB TO SUPPORT THE ELECTION OF NOMINATED DEMOCRATS AT THE LOCAL, STATE AND NATIONAL LEVELS OF ELECTIVE OFFICE.
- Longboat Key Democratic Club Trolley Tour of Newtown History A Two-Hour Guided, Interactive Tour Showcasing the History of Sarasota’s African American Pioneers, Wednesday, December 12 10:30 a.m-12:30 p.m., Departs from Fogartyville, 525 Kumquat Court, $40 per person, Payable in Advance, Space is limited--Advance signup required, Make Checks Payable to Longboat Key Democratic Club, P.O. Box 8025, Longboat Key, FL 34228 Questions? Contact David Lapovsky-- Phone 914-830-4584 See more details including reservation information HERE.
- Longboat key Democratic Club Luncheon TUESDAY, December 11, 2018 PORTOFINO RESTAURANT - LBK CLUB. The Speaker will be Philip Kotler, Ph.D., one of the world’s leading marketing thinkers and author of “Democracy in Decline,” presents “Inequality of Income Undermines Democracy.” Questions contact Dr. Lois Barson -- Phone 941-383-9893. See more details HERE.
- Tiger Bay Luncheon on February 7th, 11:30 presenting Jeffrey Toobin. Register at http://sarasotatigerbay.com. For more information please contact Kim Noyes at 941-925-2970 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. See details HERE.
Democratic Club News
- THE LONGBOAT DEMOCRATIC CLUB KICKED OFF iTS 2018-2019 LUNCHEON SERIES ON NOVEMBER 13 WITH 47 IN ATTENDANCE TO HEAR ROB LOREI, HOST OF FLORIDA THIS WEEK, SHARE HIS REACTIONS TO THE MID-TERM ELECTION AND TO SPEAK ABOUT THE INCESSANT ATTACK BY PRESIDENT TRUMP ON THE MEDIA. READ THE FULL ARTICLE SUMMARIZING THE LUNCHEON AND LOREI'S PRESENTATION HERE.
- YOUR LONGBOAT KEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB IS VERY GRATEFUL TO ALL THE NOVEMBER 2018 ELECTION CANDIDATES AND VOLUNTEERS. OUR CANDIDATES WORKED TIRELESSLY AGAINST REPUBLICAN MONEY AND OUR VOLUNTEERS WHO NEVER LET US DOWN AND NEVER SAID "ENOUGH." PLEASE SEE OUR EMAIL WITH OUR HEARTY THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED. YOU CAN READ IT HERE.
- THERE ARE 1162 REGISTERED SARASOTA COUNTY DEMOCRAT VOTERS ON LBK. FOR THE NOVEMBER 6 ELECTIONS, 83% VOTED EITHER BY VOTE BY MAIL, EARLY VOTING OR ON ELECTION DAY. THAT IS OUTSTANDING FOR A MIDTERM ELECTION. WE WILL PUBLISH MANATEE COUNTY VOTER TURNOUT WHEN WE RECEIVE THE DATA. TO SEE MORE STATISTICS INCLUDING HOW OUR TURNOUT COMPARED WITH LBK REGISTERED SARASOTA COUNTY REPUBLICANS CLICK HERE.
- THE OCTOBER 2018 ELECTION ISSUE OF THE LBKDC NEWSLETTER CONTAINS VALUABLE INFORMATION FOR VOTERS - RECOMMENDED NOVEMBER 6 BALLOT PREFERENCES, INCLUDING ALL CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS, A GREAT POLITICAL UPDATE AND CALL TO ACTION BY NORMA SCHATZ, AND A RECOUNTING OF OUR TERRIFIC OCTOBER DINNER/RALLY. YOU CAN VIEW AND DOWNLOAD THE NEWSLETTER HERE.
- JILL WINE-BANKS, A PROSECUTOR DURING THE WATERGATE SCANDAL AND A CURRENT LEGAL ANALYST FOR MSNBC, SPOKE AT A FUNDRAISING DINNER HOSTED BY THE DEMOCRATIC CLUB OF SARASOTA AND THE LONGBOAT KEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB. THE EVENT WAS HELD ON SUNDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 7 AT THE HYATT REGENCY IN SARASOTA. SEE DETAILS HERE.
A Message from the President – Ken Marsh
For decades the Longboat Key Democratic Club has provided means for local residents to support Democratic candidates, to hear form knowledgeable and stimulating speakers, to link to other Democratic Party efforts, and to impact government decisions based on our values.
We are located on Longboat Key, a barrier island whose 3,000 registered Democrats vote in either Sarasota or Manatee Counties. Our island is situated between Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico and is 12 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. Most of our voters are seasonal (November - April) but still very involved in local election issues year-round. Well over 90% of us vote in most elections. Our Sarasota County Precinct 201 typically has the highest percentage of voter turnout in the county.
Our Club meets for lunch and discussion on the second Tuesday of the month, from November - April. Our luncheons are held in the Portofino Restaurant of the Longboat Key Club and Resort, from noon to 1:30 PM. Our guest speakers give presentations that are stimulating, relevant, and humorous. The presenters include members of congress, local and state officials, political pundits, journalists, newscasters and entertainers. We invite you to join us as a guest, if you are in the area.
Our members work hard during election cycles to keep voters informed, educated and involved. During presidential elections, our club provides charter bus transportation, to and from the polls, for voters who live in the city of Sarasota and Bradenton and cannot get to the polls on their own. These buses also transport college students attending the four colleges in our area. The routes and bus stops are selected and advertised so that most voters will have to only walk a short distance to ride a bus to the polls. This outreach program has been very well received by members of the community.
The Longboat Key Democratic Club is proud to share information about the club and about your opportunities to get involved. We encourage you to join us in our quest to support Democratic nominees at the local, state and national levels. Together, through excellent voter turnout and our support of Democratic candidates, we can make a significant, positive difference in the future of our country.
Contact any of us to discuss how you can participate in the camaraderie and activism of the Longboat Key Democratic Club.