Democratic Club News
- How to Vote in Florida even if You are a Snowbird - Did you know that you can register to vote in Florida even if you do not spend six months and a day here? The so-called 183-day rule is one used by many states for taxation purposes -- but has nothing to do with voter registration. Looking ahead to the critical election of 2020, your vote is likely to be much more important in Florida than in a so-called “blue” state: Whoever wins Florida is likely to win the presidency. If you own or rent property in Florida, you can register to vote here. According to Florida law, what matters is where a person intends to make his or her permanent residence for purposes of voter registration. You can be both a legal voting resident of Florida and a taxpaying resident of another state. (You must give up your right to vote in your alternate state.) This is a good time to make a switch, well in advance of next year’s election. HERE is more information on how to register to vote in Florida as a snowbird.
- Over 200 guests were present at our April 1 special luncheon to hear Jill Wine-Banks talk about the corruption in the Trump Administration, the Mueller Report, or what our speaker calls "Trumpgate." President Ken Marsh kicked off the luncheon by mentioning that Jill Wine-Banks would conclude this year's annual speaker series titled "Threats to our Democracy." See a summary of Jill Wine-Banks remarks HERE.
The July/August issue of Manatee Matters is here! See Pride Park community cookout wrap-ups, local Democratic caucus action plans and our Manatee County Democratic Party impeachment statement. Open the attached newsletter or find it on our website at manateecountydemocrats.com/newsletter
August 24 is a Triple Play – Manatee Dems, Marauders and You! We are getting together on the lower party deck to see the Bradenton Marauders play the Daytona Tortugas with a package includes: baseball tickets, baseball cap, five tickets for fan appreciation night raffle, food and post-game fireworks. More info coming at http://bit.ly/2XDizA0
Please also remember that your donations of any level allow Manatee County Democrats to continue initiatives that get Democrats elected. We are a 100% volunteer organization. The recently formed Manatee Society of contributors of $1,000 or more annually is having its first get-together at The Doctor’s Office, 5312 Holmes Blvd, Holmes Beach, Tuesday, July 16th 6:30-8:30 PM. More info and how to donate at manateecountydemocrats.com/donate
“America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand” – Harry S. Truman
Happy July 4th, Everyone!
- At our March 12 luncheon, Mike Himowitz, was introduced by Board Member Lucie Lapovsky. Mike spoke to us on the evolution of newspapers over the past few decades and the current threats to freedom of the press. Mike spent 34 years at the Baltimore Sun papers as state news editor, Washington correspondent, Baltimore County Bureau Chief, Science, Medical and Technology editor and other positions. Mike spoke to us on the topic of Roosevelt, Trump, Craigslist and the Media in Peril. Read a summary of Mike's presentation HERE.
- Norma Schatz has released her April letter to Plymouth Harbor residents and others who care. Norma urges that "If you have a phone or a computer, now is the time to let your legislators hear from you if you are troubled by any of the proposals being considered IN THE FLORIDA LEGISLATURE." The issues that are covered in the April letter includes the Republican's effort to sabotage Amendment 4 that would return to ex-felons (with certain exceptions) the right to vote after completing their prison terms, the Family Empowerment Scholarship, which would use general revenue funds to support students attending private and religious schools based on income for a family of four, but no longer based on poverty, bills arming classroom teachers, and much more. See Norma's complete April letter HERE.
- The Florida Democratic Party’s Organizing Corps 2020 is an effort to build the talent and infrastructure needed to win in 2020. Together we’re investing in the next generation of local and diverse staff for the 2020 general election and beyond. The DNC, the Florida Democratic Party and 6 other state Democratic parties, in partnership with 270 Strategies and The Collective PAC, have launched Organizing Corps 2020 —a new program, starting in 2019, focused on recruiting, paying, and training young people, especially people of color, to work on the 2020 presidential cycle! See Details HERE.
- Gary Massel presented an overview of the rise of populist politics throughout the world, including the U.S. and Europe at the LBKDC February 12 luncheon. As populism has gained momentum many of these populist leaders have instituted changes that have constrained the rights of the electorate thus establishing “illiberal democracies”. This rise of right-wing populist parties and governments pose an increasingly threat to the values of “liberal democracy” that has been the foundation of the world order that has prevailed since the end of WW II. See a summary of Massel's presentation HERE.
- DAVID HOULE PRESENTED A VISION FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AT OUR JANUARY 8 LUNCHEON. HOULE'S REMARKS WERE EAGERLY ANTICIPATED BY OUR OVERFLOW AUDIENCE. INTRODUCED BY BOARD MEMBER ROBERT GARY AS THE CEO'S FUTURIST, HOULE SHARED WITH US HIS PERSPECTIVE ON "A LOOK AT THE FUTURE OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY THROUGH THE 2020 ELECTION AND BEYOND." OUR SPEAKER IS A HIGHLY REGARDED CONSULTANT TO CEOS AND IS THE AUTHOR OF SEVERAL BOOKS. READ THE FULL ARTICLE SUMMARIZING HOULE'S PRESENTATION HERE.
- DEMOCRATIC CLUB SPONSORED TROLLEY TOUR OF THE NEWTOWN COMMUNITY. THE LONGBOAT KEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB HAS A LONGSTANDING PARTNERSHIP WITH THE NEWTOWN COMMUNITY. DURING THIS PAST ELECTION, MANY MEMBERS OF THE CLUB CANVASSED IN THE AREA AND BEGAN TO DEVELOP PERSONAL FRIENDSHIPS. WHEN ASKED HOW WE MIGHT STRENGTHEN OUR PARTNERSHIP, IT WAS SUGGESTED THAT THE CLUB ORGANIZE A GROUP TO TAKE A TROLLEY RIDE AND LEARN ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THE AREA. LBKDC BOARD MEMBER BECKY VAN DER BOGERT HAS WRITTEN A REPORT OF THE JANUARY 13TH TOUR HERE.
- WE HAD A GREATER THAN EXPECTED ATTENDANCE AT OUR DECEMBER 13 LUNCHEON. Our speaker was Philip Kotler, Ph.D, who Board Member Robert Gary introduced as the Father of Modern Marketing. Dr. Kotler is the Professor Emeritus of International Marketing at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. Dr. Kotler shared his views on several problems facing our nation including the question of whether capitalism in our democracy is working.He also shared his insights about the value proposition that the Democratic Party should adopt going into the 2020 elections. Read the full article summarizing Dr. Kotler's presentation HERE.
- THE LONGBOAT DEMOCRATIC CLUB KICKED OFF iTS 2018-2019 LUNCHEON SERIES ON NOVEMBER 13 WITH 47 IN ATTENDANCE TO HEAR ROB LOREI, HOST OF FLORIDA THIS WEEK, SHARE HIS REACTIONS TO THE MID-TERM ELECTION AND TO SPEAK ABOUT THE INCESSANT ATTACK BY PRESIDENT TRUMP ON THE MEDIA. READ THE FULL ARTICLE SUMMARIZING THE LUNCHEON AND LOREI'S PRESENTATION HERE.
- JILL WINE-BANKS, A PROSECUTOR DURING THE WATERGATE SCANDAL AND A CURRENT LEGAL ANALYST FOR MSNBC, SPOKE AT A FUNDRAISING DINNER HOSTED BY THE DEMOCRATIC CLUB OF SARASOTA AND THE LONGBOAT KEY DEMOCRATIC CLUB. THE EVENT WAS HELD ON SUNDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 7 AT THE HYATT REGENCY IN SARASOTA. SEE DETAILS HERE.
A Message from the President – Ken Marsh
For decades the Longboat Key Democratic Club has provided means for local residents to support Democratic candidates, to hear form knowledgeable and stimulating speakers, to link to other Democratic Party efforts, and to impact government decisions based on our values.
We are located on Longboat Key, a barrier island whose 3,000 registered Democrats vote in either Sarasota or Manatee Counties. Our island is situated between Sarasota Bay and the Gulf of Mexico and is 12 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. Most of our voters are seasonal (November - April) but still very involved in local election issues year-round. Well over 90% of us vote in most elections. Our Sarasota County Precinct 201 typically has the highest percentage of voter turnout in the county.
Our Club meets for lunch and discussion on the second Tuesday of the month, from November - April. Our luncheons are held in the Portofino Restaurant of the Longboat Key Club and Resort, from noon to 1:30 PM. Our guest speakers give presentations that are stimulating, relevant, and humorous. The presenters include members of congress, local and state officials, political pundits, journalists, newscasters and entertainers. We invite you to join us as a guest, if you are in the area.
Our members work hard during election cycles to keep voters informed, educated and involved. During presidential elections, our club provides charter bus transportation, to and from the polls, for voters who live in the city of Sarasota and Bradenton and cannot get to the polls on their own. These buses also transport college students attending the four colleges in our area. The routes and bus stops are selected and advertised so that most voters will have to only walk a short distance to ride a bus to the polls. This outreach program has been very well received by members of the community.
The Longboat Key Democratic Club is proud to share information about the club and about your opportunities to get involved. We encourage you to join us in our quest to support Democratic nominees at the local, state and national levels. Together, through excellent voter turnout and our support of Democratic candidates, we can make a significant, positive difference in the future of our country.
Contact any of us to discuss how you can participate in the camaraderie and activism of the Longboat Key Democratic Club.